Adults in the UK are recommended not to consume any more than 6g of salt per day. Too much salt in the diet can lead to increased risk of strokes and heart attacks. See below 5 points I’ve put together on how to reduce your salt intake.
- Take salt away from the table centre and keep it in the cupboard – out of sight out of mind.
- Cook from scratch if and when you can to control the salt content.
- If you seek more flavour in your meals add spices instead, my favourite spices are cajun on sweet potatoes or cumin in omelette.
- Buy lower in salt products… ketchup, sweet corn and jar sauces come in low salt versions.
- Finally, you can use the Foodswitch app to scan foods to view their salt content, the app will then offer lower salt alternative products (if available).
Action on Salt – http://www.actiononsalt.org.uk/
Foodswitch app – http://www.foodswitch.co.uk/
NHS Choices Salt: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/salt.aspx